Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: reliable on line store for altec parts

  1. #11
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I put Bill's original website together for him as a favor - to help him get "out there". It wasn't much, but it helped.

    The current one is an upgraded version of that website, but was a work in progress as I had time.

    Currently, I have a new website built for him that is in the beta test mode. It's almost finished - just getting the "bugs" out of it, and tweaking it, of course. It is a lot nicer than anything he's had, and I think everyone will like it. Currently, all that's left other than that is for me to finish the last few of the new spec sheets for his products (they look really good, too, if I say so myself).

    The new website has the ability to add e-commerce to it, but that is something that we're going to look at adding after the new website gets up and running (if we wait for everything we want it to do, it will never get on at all). Currently, Bill has an eBay webstore, which may have to suffice.

    As with all things, these changes take time. All of us are stretched pretty thin (my mother's cancer, and the time it takes to care for her, for example, slows me down a lot), but we'll get there sooner than later (we hope!).

    Thanks for your patience - I know in this cyber-world, everything's very immediate, but life , on my end anyway, isn't always like that.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 21, 2007 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2006
    Posts
    139
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are a very few businesses in the world that have all the demand they can handle, and it's a job just trying to limit yourself to dealing with what demand you can handle while making a decent living and to enjoying life, assuming your work isn't your reason for being.
    I would hazard Bill has a captive market, meaning he's the one-stop for most things Altec, so I would say he needn't fret over where the business is coming from. Conversely I would also say that his market is not something that will boom exponentially like say iPod sales. Thus if he can meet the demand doing as he is now then what need to go "live" on the net, since as others have pointed out, the kind of Dilbert-ian kind of growth which it entails may lead to bigger success, taking Bill away "from the bench" to administer to things?
    Looking into the crystal ball now...then along comes some venture capital firm, buys him out, replaces the few devoted employees with MBA yes-men (oops-yes-persons) flunkies, the whole thing gets unweildy, mismanaged, and tanks, and you end up like Altec-Lansing.
    Thanks for indulging me with your attention, if a little far-fetched.
    Jon A.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not FAR FETCHED at all JonA and exactly what I was thinking in so many fewer words! LOL

    I could easily grow my business right out of business and probably kill myself doing it.

    All things considered, you send your broke stuff to Bill and he sends it back PDQ and fixed right.

    I for one was sad to see he even opened an EPAY store. Can't tell you how many $100 items I sold for the opening bid of $9.99 until I finally learned. The other option was to place a reserve or much higher opening bid and get no bids but pay three times the price for NO SALE.
    I bow to those who can make money there but you can be sure EPAY is making the Kings Ransom.
    I closed my account and can't even be bothered going there any more.

    Gary

  4. #14
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, the Internet allows any business to seem large and potentially become large.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes the Internet will help you GROW your business...but that is NOT the only reason to get a website for your business. In fact MOST businesses don't use the Website to GROW their business. They use the Website to STAY in business. It's not a matter of GPA GROWING their business...it's more of them NOT LOOSING business.

    First off...having a BROKEN website IMHO is worse then not having a website at all. Especially for a TECHNICAL company. There are SEVERAL links on GPA's website that don't work. Either fix the links or remove them.

    Second off...Most websites do NOT have e-commerce. It does make ordering easier, but it's not necessary. What is nice is having a list of WHAT the company offers. For example....They sell High-frequency drivers. There should be a link describing what they sell...indetail...AND pics, specs and even prices. This is NOT rocket science.

    Third....Is GPA only going to sell to people over 40?? 95% of people in their 30's and 40's prefer to buy via the internet as opposed to phone. People my age (51) and older prefer to buy over the phone. Great for people our age. People of the younger generation will shop elsewhere to find what they are looking for if they can't find it on the internet.

  5. #15
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Mike -

    The new website has NO inoperable links. The ones on the old site are there because, quite frankly, I intended to make them operable not long after putting them there, but my mother's cancer flared up big time and caring for her had to take precedence. While I admit I should have removed them, I've been just SO overwhelmed with Mom's situation that I just didn't get around to it. Now that I'm hoping to have the new website going soon, I'm trying to devote what time I do have to finishing it, rather than fixing the old one.

    The new website is MUCH different than the current one, and does, you'll be pleased to know, have detailed listings of all of the products GPA offers.

    The e-commerce option will be put in later, but, in order to get the website up as soon as possible, it will be left for last. I trust most of the those who value this option will understand and be patient.

  6. #16
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I understand, Mike - no offense taken.

  7. #17
    Inactive Member hmole's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2005
    Posts
    130
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Todd,
    I think everyone here appreciates what you have done over the years, but I would like to say thanks again.

    Harry

  8. #18
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks friends - it's not much, but I like helping people as far as I am able...

  9. #19
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Todd

    I understand the reasons for things like that NOT getting done. I'm NOT blaming anyone. I was just trying to point out HOW a good website operates and how it can be used to HELP Bill. This all came about because someone was having problems with contacting Bill. If a good website will help Bill and customer relations, then I think it's a good idea to get one going as soon as possible.

    About 2 years ago we went from Client-Server applications to building webservices with DotNet (C# actually). I know first hand what it takes to build a website. Even though I'm in management I stay very technical. Now if you're writing the Website in C# and need some help...let me know.

    My comments are NOT to post any blame or point out shortcummings...They are just some positive suggestions on what I've learned throughout my 30+ years of software engeering.

    And let me iterate what I've said before....I think Bill and you Todd have done a GREAT job keeping this forum and Great Altec name alive. Please keep up the GREAT work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.